Adventures in Lemongrass: Cellulite-busting moisturiser (maybe)

Tuesday 25 September 2012

One of the many things lemongrass essential oil is supposed to be good for is tackling cellulite. It works by helping to reduce fluid retention and increase blood flow (excessive fluid retention is one cause of cellulite). I thought a moisturiser would be a simple way to use up some oil and test the theory. First thing I did: select some other oils to use in my moisturiser. I chose coffee and grapefruit.


I use coffee grinds quite a lot in facial scrubs already as it's good for reducing puffiness*, and coffee essential oil is another good one for reducing the appearing of cellulite.


Grapefruit is, again, good for cellulite busting, as well as dull skin. It's also just a lovely, uplifting fragrance and if I'm going to rub something into my thighs it may as well be an uplifting experience.

So! Having selected my oils, the next step was to whack them all together with scientific precision. I gathered my tools:


Here we have sweet almond oil as a carrier, vitamin E oil for added skin-nourishing goodness, an empty bottle, my essential oils, and some pipettes and a funnel for scientific precision. 

I combined sweet almond oil and vitamin E oil without spilling it all over myself and the kitchen:


I filled the bottle about three quarters full with sweet almond oil and topped it up to shoulder-height with vitamin E oil. Not pictured: oil slick. Next, I added in my essential oils.


A little goes a long way with essential oils, so you don't need to add much of any to get the benefits. I used three drops of each and then gave the bottle a good shake.


Ta-da! It was that easy. Here's the finished product, sitting on top of my usual moisturiser, virgin coconut oil. As you can see, this isn't a very big bottle; I imagine it will last me about a week, which probably isn't long enough to see any real results. But it was so stupidly easy to make, I'm planning to try it out for a month and see if there's any benefits. I don't really examine my body that closely as a rule so I don't really know if I have significant amounts of cellulite to begin with. I'm just assuming I do because, you know, I'm a female person. Regardless of whether it works (or indeed whether I need it), it does smell good and that's always a bonus.

*I believe this is the technical terminology. 


No comments:

Post a Comment