"Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind."

Sunday 24 November 2013

photokanok
 Mary Ellen Chase


One of the things I believe about perfume is that a scent should tell a story and evoke a mood. So the title quote seems perfect for introducing my winter/Christmas perfume range. I wanted perfumes that evoked a true feeling of winter - icy rivers, frost-rimed trees, open fires, and the hushed excitement of Christmas Eve. But I also wanted to create perfumes you'd want to wear all year round, not just when the nights grow longer and the air turns cold. Perfumes you can indulge in whether it's the height of summer or the depths of midwinter. I hope I've done that, but of course, you guys will be judge. Want a look at what I've come up with? Of course you do!


I've always fancied a ski-in holiday. Well, to be accurate, I've always fancied being snuggled up in a chalet in the Alps, watching other people ski while I indulge in hot chocolate by an open fire. With that in mind, I created Chalet Girl - a decadent blend of milk chocolate, hot cocoa, toasted marshmallow, Christmassy candy canes and a dash crisp of peppermint. It's my dream winter holiday, without that pesky exercise business!


My favourite Christmas carol has always been God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - I find it warm, uplifting and joyous. And that's the mood I've created with this seasonal perfume. Starting with the tang of frost-crusted fruit and melting luxuriously into notes of hot buttered rum and creme brulee, this perfume finishes with the solemn and soothing notes of pure frankincense, myrrh, and earthy white amber. 

Frau Holle

Frau Holle, or Mother Hulda, is the star of a German fairy tale where kindness and hard work is rewarded and laziness and greed is punished. So a fairly typical fairy tale...Frau Holle herself was most likely an ancient pagan goddess who became a folkloric figure as Christianity spread through Europe. I've put a seasonal twist on Frau Holle, taking the green notes of holly, ivy, and pine and blending them with the gentle floral scents of rose and carnation. A hint of tart cranberry finishes off this wonderful woman's winter scent. 

La Befana

In Italian folklore, La Befana was an old lady who delivered presents to children on Epiphany Eve. Good children were given honey, dates, and figs, whilst bad children had to make do with a lump of coal. In honour of La Befana, I've created a sweet, warm blend of honeyed figs and red and black cherries, on a bed of hazelnuts and acorns with a dash of sugar. Not a lump of coal in sight.

Special Snowflake

Be unique! Just like everyone else...No, but thanks to the magic of personal skin chemistry, every perfume oil really is unique, different on every different person. And this perfume is particularly playful in that respect. Mixing old lace with white chocolate, adding pale floral notes of wisteria and plumeria, and finishing off with juicy plums and just a suggestion of mint, Special Snowflake is delicate, ever-changing, and very special!
Marcus74id


The Holly King

The Holly King is a folkloric figure who rules the seasons of autumn and winter. I've chosen the same same base, green notes of ivy, holly and pine that you'll find in Frau Holle, but given them a rich masculine bent with deep chestnut, sharp red currant and resinous, creamy peru balsam. This is one for the boys, but women who like a bolder fragrance will love it too.

Of course, you can get sample-sized vials of all six to help you decide which one is the perfect winter scent for you, and don't forget - all these perfumes will be part of my Handmade Monday 20% off sale tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment