"The two basic items necessary to sustain life are sunshine and coconut milk."

Thursday 8 May 2014

Suat Eman
Dustin Hoffman

A quick glance through my collection of essential and fragrance oils will reveal I have a bit of a thing for coconut. There's regular coconut fragrance oil, black coconut, coconut ice, coconut milk, and coconut cream pie. I love coconut! What's not to love? It tastes great, it smells delicious, and coconut oil has about a million uses from cooking to make-up removal.

So when I found a supplier offering coconut CO2 I impulse-bought a bottle immediately without really bothering to read the material information. Hey, it's coconut! It's already perfect! Why inform yourself further? And let me tell you, it is pretty perfect. It has an amazing coconut flesh smell - bright, sweet, tropical, nutty, and fresh. Honestly, I love all my coconut oils, but the difference between a coconut fragrance oil and this stuff is light years. It smells good enough to eat.

There is one, tiny, problem with coconut CO2. It's solid at room temperature. The texture is buttery/fatty and although it will become liquid with some gentle heat, it re-solidifies back to a butter once it cools. So obviously this is not a material for perfume oils. Disappointing, but that's what solid perfumes are for, right?

Having recently stocked up on some great fragrance oils from the US that will lend themselves perfectly to bright, exotic perfumes, I'm brainstorming some ideas for more solids. I've got a particularly lovely puakenikeni oil that should be heavenly with coconut CO2. I'd love to know what scents you guys think coconut should be paired with too - this is the kind of material you really want to experiment and go crazy with! I can see it working with brazil nuts or pistachio, cherry or chocolate, marshmallow...maybe even some deep spices like clove. What do you reckon? What's your perfect coconut combination?

winnond

7 comments:

  1. Y'know, I think cocoa + brazil nut + marshmallow + cherry + coconut could work nicely as a sort of exotic Tiffin.

    Ooh, and pomegranate + pineapple + banana + coconut would make a delicious tropical mix. (Okay, pomegranate might not be tropical but it is a yummy scent...)

    Last one, based off of those fluffy marshmallow cakes filled with jam and covered in chocolate and coconut: marshmallow + vanilla bean + raspberry + rose + milk chocolate + coconut + Earl grey tea to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a rocky road-type blend in mind to try - I can see a touch of coconut working well in that! I love all these cakey ideas.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of puakenikeni and coconut together! I also really enjoy coconut paired with spices. I think my ideal would be coconut with a floral note, some spices, and a bit of woods. Though I also wonder if it would work well in an woodsy ocean scent? Or maybe with coffee, nuts, and marshmallow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut and coffee could be interesting! I've got my eye on a new coffee absolute from Kenya that might be nice...

      I recently made a coconut and "ocean" solid perfume as a gift for a friend and she tells me it smells amazing. It seems to be a pretty versatile scent!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds cliche, but I've always loved the smell of coconut and pineapple together. It doesn't get any more tropical than that! :) Although I'm not really one for tropical scents, but right now I'm enjoying a coconut rollerball frag by Pacifica for the Summer. Cheers!

    Lian from Scent Luxe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pineapple and coconut is a classic for a reason!

      Delete